For this flatbread pizza I’m using Asparagus and some caramelized onions to create a sweet and savory combination. I love making 4 – 5 different flatbread pizzas for party’s – even letting guest assemble and bake off their own. It’s a great way to get friends involved in cooking dinner, and with a bit of wine flowing, it turns into a ton of fun. To hold the toppings together, I use a bit of gruyere cheese, which is very nutty and savory, but feel free to change it up a bit, as the options are endless and you can be very creative. Best of all, you can prep all the toppings ahead of time, and put everything together, and bake it off in just a few minutes. Hope you enjoy it!
Recipe Overview and Keys to Success
To make the best asparagus & onion flatbread pizza, make sure to the do the following:
- I like using either pita bread, naan, or lavash they all give you slightly different results, but they are all good. Just make sure the bread is then, and good quality.
- The onions provide a ton of flavor, if they are cooked down enough, so take your time, and cook them until they are just starting to caramelized, sweet and delicious
- The cheese is an important part, but unlike a pizza, the layer is not very thick. I like just enough to hold the toppings on
- A very hot oven, 450 degrees, will ensure the flatbread pizza cooks quickly, melts and cheese and gives you a nice crispy crust
- Pita bread
- 2 spears asparagus
- 1/2 yellow onion sliced
- 1/3 cup grated gruyere cheese
- olive oil
Onion & Asparagus Flatbread
- Heat a sauté pan over medium heat, and add the sliced onions, seasoned with salt and pepper.
- Toss, and continue to cook the onions until they are just barely starting to brown; they should be soft and sweet
- They can be cooked ahead of time, and set aside in the fridge
- Blanch the asparagus in boiling salted water, and then cool them in a bowl of cold water to stop the cooking and set the color
- Using a sharp knife, or vegetable peeler, cut the asparagus into long thin strips
- Preheat the oven to 450 with a pizza stone, or heavy pan inside
- Drizzle the pita bread with olive oil and then top with the shaved asparagus and onions
- Season with salt and pepper, and then top with a thin layer of the gruyere cheese
- Move the flatbread pizza into the oven on the stone and bake for 7 – 10 minutes until the cheese is melted and the pizza crisp
- Remove from the oven and drizzle with a bit more olive oil, allow it to rest for a minute and then slice
- Serve and enjoy!
Wine Recommendation with Onion and Asparagus Flatbread Pizza
While wine and asparagus can be a tough match the cheese and bread, help our lives here. Because both the onions and cheese are pretty rich flavors, I suggest a full bodied white wine, like a Chardonnay or Viognier. Enjoy!