The Panthers are inspiration for another BBQ burger, but this one focused on the pig - a stable of Carolina BBQ. To work that most wonderful of animals in there, instead of using traditional bacon, I bought some pork belly, which I sliced thick and slowly braised until tender, juicy and so sooo yummy. Then I seared it off on the grill along with the beef patty burger. To top off the whole magilla, I added some fresh cole slaw and BBQ sauce (please forgive me for it not being mustard based). That pork belly is amazing (it's like super charged bacon) and this is one of my favorite burgers!
- Large burger bun
- Pork belly (or slab bacon)
- 5 ounces of ground beef
- Apple juice (or chicken broth)
- Olive oil
- Black pepper
- Dry BBQ rub
- Fresh cole slaw
- North Carolina-style BBQ Sauce
- Season some sliced pork belly (or slab bacon) with salt and pepper.
- Put pork belly slices in a dry pan over a medium heat, and cook for about 5 minutes on each side.
- Drain fat from the pan.
- Add some dry BBQ rub to the meat.
- Add just enough apple juice (or chicken broth) to cover the meat.
- Put the pan in a 300-degree oven for about 90 minutes, or cover the pan and simmer on the stove for 60-90 minutes.
- Remove the meat from the heat and let rest for about 10 minutes.
- Form ground beef into a patty, including a dimple in the middle so the patty doesn't shrink when you cook it.
- Season both sides of the patty with salt, pepper and dry BBQ rub.
- Lightly coat the patty with olive oil, and sear on a hot grill, along with the slices of pork belly, for about 7 minutes.
- Flip the meats to cook the other side.
- Baste the pork belly with North Carolina-style BBQ sauce.
- Top the burger with cheddar slices and cover so the cheese melts.
- Remove burger to a plate, and top it with the BBQ pork belly.
- Spread mayo and mustard on a split bun.
- Put bun on a plate and add the finished burger.
- Top with a heaping helping of cole slaw.
- Add top of bun and cut the sandwich in half.
That pork belly burger is to die for, and this is one of my favorite burgers!