Mango is one of my favorite fruits. The color, flavor and texture are all great. And mango is also a bit on the “exotic” side, so whenever I make it for guests, they think I’m really cool (hard to believe I know). In this recipe, I show you how to make a fresh mango salsa that is absolutely great on its own (maybe with some chips), but I also love it as a sauce for fish, chicken and pork – or even as a garnish for fish tacos. There’s no cooking involved, so it only takes a few minutes to make, and I think it’s visually stunning. As I show you in the recipe video, this salsa is super easy to make, so give it a try and let me know how it goes.
Mango Salsa Recipe Overview and Keys to Success
With this, and other fresh salsas, there aren’t too many things you need to watch out for. Most importantly, just make sure of the following:
- Use the best ingredients you can find. The mango needs to be ripe, and taste good – if it doesn’t look or taste good, it’s going to be tough to make the salsa taste great.
- The “balance” of the dish is very important. You need the right ratios of sweet, soft mango, to crunchy, savory onion, to tangy, acidic lime juice….and so on. I think the proportions below are good, but there is no substitute for tasting as you go, and making adjustments
Ingredients for Mango Salsa (for 4)
- 1 mango – diced in quarter inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons diced red onion
- Juice of half a lime
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- 1 diced jalapeno pepper
- Dash of olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Dice the mango
- Dice the onion, cilantro, jalapeno and red onion
- Put the diced red onion in a strainer and rinse under cold water. This process will wash away some of the harsher flavors, and make the taste a bit more mild
- Combine the above ingredients in a bowl and squeeze some of the lime juice in
- Season with salt and pepper and taste
- Adjust by adding more lime juice, salt or pepper
- You may want to add a touch of honey if the mango wasn’t quite sweet enough
As I mentioned about serve on its own, or as I like to do this salsa makes a great garish for roasted meats.